What are Hreflang’s issues?
When utilizing hreflang tags, faults known as hreflang difficulties can happen. These mistakes may prevent consumers from receiving the accurate version of your page from search engines, which could be harmful to your global SEO.
Some of the most common Hreflang issues include:
Incorrect language codes: ISO 639-1 language codes must be used correctly in hreflang tags. Search engines won’t be able to understand the language of your page if improper language codes are used.
Missing hreflang tags: Hreflang tags are not required on every page of your website, but they are required on any pages that are translated into several languages. These pages won’t be served to users correctly by search engines if their hreflang tags are missing.
Duplicate hreflang tags: Only one hreflang tag per language should be used on each page. Search engines may become confused and have trouble deciding which version of the website to deliver if there are many hreflang tags on a page.
It’s crucial to continually inspect for mistakes if you’re employing hreflang tags. A hreflang checker tool can be used to assist you find and correct any mistakes.
Here are some tips for avoiding hreflang issues:
- Make use of the appropriate ISO 639-1 language codes.
- All pages that are translated into multiple languages should have hreflang tags.
- Keep your hreflang tags unique.
- Correctly format hreflang tags.
- Reverse hreflang tags should be included.
The following tips might help you, make sure that your hreflang tags are flawless and that users can access your website in all of the languages you offer.
How to remove hreflang issues in shopify and WordPress?
Removing hreflang issues in both Shopify and WordPress involves similar steps, but the implementation may differ slightly due to the platform’s structure. Here’s a general guide on how to address hreflang issues on both platforms:
- Identify the Hreflang Issues: Use tools like Google Search Console or SEO auditing tools to identify the specific pages with hreflang issues, conflicts, or incorrect hreflang values.
- Correct Incorrect Hreflang Values: For both platforms, navigate to the individual product or page where the incorrect hreflang value is present. Locate the code section where the hreflang attribute is set and update it with the correct values.
For Shopify: Access your Shopify admin panel and follow these steps:
Go to Online Store > Themes.
Click on “Actions” > Edit Code for the theme you are using.
Locate the relevant template file (usually header. liquid or product-template. liquid) where the hreflang attributes are set.
Update the hreflang values to the correct language and region codes.
Hreflang Setup in WordPress:
If you are using a custom theme, access the theme editor by going to Appearance > Editor.
Locate the header.php file or any other relevant template file where the hreflang attributes are set.
Update the hreflang values with the correct language and region codes.
- Resolve Hreflang Conflicts: In case of hreflang conflicts within the page source code, inspect the conflicting pages, and check for inconsistencies in the hreflang values. Ensure that each page points to the correct corresponding pages in different languages and regions.
- Implement Canonical Tags: To avoid duplicate content issues, implement canonical tags on each page to indicate the preferred version of the page. This helps search engines understand the relationship between different language and regional versions of the same content.
- Use Correct Language and Region Codes: Ensure you are using the correct ISO language and country codes for the hreflang attributes. Refer to the official hreflang documentation for the correct codes.
- Check Sitemap: Review your website’s sitemap to ensure that it includes the correct hreflang tags for all pages and languages.
- Test and Monitor: After making the necessary changes, test the pages with hreflang attributes to ensure they are working correctly. Regularly monitor your website’s performance and SEO metrics to ensure that the hreflang issues are resolved and do not reappear.
- Seek Professional Help if Needed: If you are unsure about making the changes yourself or encounter more complex issues, consider seeking help from an experienced developer or SEO expert to address the hreflang issues effectively.
Remember that hreflang implementation is crucial for multilingual and international SEO, so take the time to ensure its accuracy on your website. Always back up your website’s code and content before making any changes, and be cautious during the modification process to avoid unintended consequences.